1830 and the early 1950's the site was formerly occupied
by the Llwyngwern Slate Quarry.
The slate was sent, via the narrow gauge Corris railway,
to Machynlleth where it was transshiped on the main railway.
The site, now occupied by the water operated funicular
was formerly a quarry incline with two parallel 2' 3"
tracks. The weight of the loaded wagons coming down was
used to haul up the returning empties with a wood and
cast iron winding drum at the top controlled by a braking
system to prevent runaways.
old quarry incline in 1890