of Czech Republic
In the end of 19th Century, Karlovy Vary hoped to built electric tramway here. These plans were not successful, therefore large hotels tried to build their own transport system itself. Karlovy Vary is relatively hilly town, so most of the large hotels are located on the hills. There was not possible to built any other type of transport than rack railway or funicular.
In 1905 Lord of Westbury, englishman, frequent spa's vistory founded new company for building funiculars in Karlovy Vary. His first attempt was made in 1906, and this was short funicular between Divadelni ulice(Theater's street) and Helen's plateau. An electric funicular, 114 meters long with gauge 1000 mm was built here. Most interesting thing of this funicular was fact, that whole track was in tunnel!!! Funicular was opened in may 1906 and becomes very popular for spa's visitors. Funicular was in service only in summer without any major change until 1955. Service was suspended in this year, because of bad technical state of funicular. Until 1957, technical equipment was renewed and service was resumed. Cars remained wooden until 1961, when they were reneved, and were equipment with metallic carbody. They served successfully until 31.12.1980 when service was stopped for the second time.
City wanted to renew funicular again, but there were problems to find some company for this job. In 1983 was signed contract with polish company Budimex. Until 1985 was track restored, but new cars (from polish Konstal Chorzow works) were delivered in early 1987. In november 1987 was service restored, and funicular is fully in service until today. It is owned by municpal city transport company, and is integrated into public transport system, so normal fare apply here. Bottom station is located in spa's centre, top station can be reached by public bus No.18. Funicular is in service daily between 6.00-21.00.
Presentation | Prague - Letná
| Prague - Petrín | Karlovy
Vary - Slovenská ul. - Imperiál | Karlovy
Vary - výina Diana | Karlovy Vary - Divadelní ulice | Mrázovka -Hotel Mövenpick | Menu
|Copyright 1998 by Michel Azéma, Paris (France)|