Muralg Bahn is one of my favorite funiculars of
It is located at the junction of the Engadin valley
and Bernina valley, between Samedan and Pontresina
and only at four kilometers from Saint Moritz.
Why is it one of my favorites ? Because this funicular
is a real icon of the Swiss funiculars.
• It goes from the bottom of the valley
to the top of the (Muottas Muralg) mountain with
a very nice curved profile.
• The first part of the line goes entirely
through a forest, the second part of the line
goes entirely on the mountain pasture and is visible
from all the surrounding areas.
• This is a classical funicular, two
counterbalanced carriages with a passing loop
in the middle of the line.
• The carriages are two classical 60s
Gangloff made ones, they are red !
• At the top of the line there is restaurant,
but a very good one ! Not the horrible self-service
restaurant at the top of the Cairngorm Funicular
! The restaurant at Muottas Muralg is worth the
detour and that is why the funicular is
opened until 11 PM !!! Do you know any
other mountain funicular which is open so late
• The upper part of the line is lighted
by night! It can be easily seen from Saint Moritz.
• From the top, the panorama is magnificent
to the Upper Engadin valley and to the 4000s meters
summits (Piz Bernina, Piz Palü).
• From the Muottas Muralg summit many
footpaths start from the restaurant and the hikers
can use the funicular as they want, they are even
very welcome ! Not as Cairngorm mountain!
• Muottas Muralg mountain and its funicular
are really photogenic !
Do you want some more reasons ?