Text and Photos Michel Azéma

Funiculars of Switzerland

Lausanne - Signal
Vaud


(photo Michel Azéma May 2000)
Description
The "Compagnie du chemin de fer Lausanne-Signal" was created in 1896 to build a funicular to link the Place du Vallon to the Signal de Sauvabelin where there was a new created lake for skating.

The funicular first opened in 1899 and definitively closed in 1948.

Today at the Place du Vallon the wooden bottom station is still visible (see the photo) and beside it, the small wooden chalet also remains intact and it is still a small café as in 1899 !
 
Map


 
Lausanne - Signal in 1901
Lausanne Signal 1901
Click to enlarge
177 Kb

>> Interactive satellite photo <<

Technical Datas


 
 Start
1899
End
 1948
Status
Type of funicular
Type of tracks
Type of energy
Bottom station
Place du Vallon (531 m)
Top station
Signal (637 m)
Length
468 m
Difference of levels
106 m
Maximum Gradient
28 %
Gauge
1 m
Speed
4,5 m/s

 

Copyright © 1996-2010 Funimag
Michel Azéma, Paris (France)
contact
Warning: All images on this magazine are copyrighted and are intended for personal use only. They may not be reproduced in any form without the explicit permission of the copyright owner.