2000 the two independant funicular companies Biel-Maggligen
and Biel-Leubrigen merged into a new company which name
One year later the funicular Biel-Magglingen was stopped
during 3,5 months for a big renovation.
On June 10th, 2001 the funicular re-opened with two new
modern carriages with panoramic compartment,wheelchair
accessibility, a new cable, new ultramodern electronic
commands and new driving system.
The funicular Biel-Magglingen first came into service
in 1887 to link the town of Biel to Magglingen which is
a residential suburbs on the top of the first foothill
of the Jura mountain.
Today Maggligen is famous area for sports, many sports
grounds, and the Federal Office for Sports is located
just near the top station of the funicular.